Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#81 2015-07-21 14:54:34

zero
Website

Re: Domains

Verein is much like a voluntary association (read Legal Status on that one). Something more tight legally is a private company limited by guarantee which is what | was thinking of previously in this thread, even a charitable company LBG. However, the aims of a free open source CMS would have to be accepted by the Charity Commission as charitable for us to be a charitable company. This would be difficult.

I mention charitable because from what I’ve read about starting a foundation it is not what we want but all those recommending probably are thinking of something different?

As for “Please send pull request if you honestly promote a change of domains”, Robert, I do honestly think we should be safe before we are sorry and I am willing to change change textpattern.com to txpcms.com in all those pages. But I’ve not used github and don’t know how to proceed. I also don’t want to go ahead and waste my time (like the docs to dokuwiki instead of mediawiki thing which also wasted Ruud’s and others time). The flow of this thread was going towards getting a domain starting with txp, so I took the plunge before txpcms was taken (there are domain-grab lurkers I’m sure following this) but then the objections started coming.

TXPQ Examples and discussion of Textpattern CMS quality.
Safe Reiki Harmless natural healing.

#82 2015-07-21 15:33:30

bici
Website

philwareham wrote #293586:

Ghost CMS is run as a Non-Profit Organisation in the UK, so it is possible. I have meeting with my company’s accountant tomorrow actually so I could mention it to her and get some feedback on the process/pitfalls involved.

In the meantime here is a bit of background info for UK set ups.

That is UK though. I don’t even know where would be the best place to situate a Foundation (although as I say, it works for Ghost).

I think the example you pointed should be do-able for us.

“Unincorporated Association

An Unincorporated Association is a membership organisation. It can be whatever its members want it to be, and carry out whatever activity you choose. It is the easiest, quickest and cheapest way for a group to set itself up. There is no need even to keep a membership list – anyone who is entitled by your rules to be a member can simply turn up and take part. It is ideal for many small groups, especially those without staff or premises. A large number of groups fall into this category (sometimes without knowing it).

You do not have to seek approval of any kind before setting up and you are free to draw up your own democratic constitution setting out the rules under which your group will be run. You do not have to register with any regulatory body, though if your group has charitable aims and an income above £5,000 per year you are required to register with the Charity Commission.

For more information about unincorporated associations see Legal Structures for Community and Voluntary Groups.”

I would be interested to see what your company’s Accountant has to say about forming an Association of some kind. Simple and not too Expensive.

…. texted postive

#83 2015-07-21 15:46:30

gaekwad

wet wrote #293583:

[…] beekeepers, stamp collectors, folk dance groups, […]

I love how your brain works, Robert.

#84 2015-07-22 00:46:05

Destry
Website

This voluntary/unincorporated association situation is interesting, but I“m unclear from the Wikipedia page what steps are needed to establish one, such as the paperwork, or if any steps are needed at all.

The Wikipedia page almost sounds like it’s saying that if two or more people share a common interest and actually divvy up structured responsibilities on their own volition to meeting some goal, then you have a voluntary association. But if that were true, Txp (and CSF, for that matter) would be one already by fact of it’s efforts, so I must be missing something.

I would recommend looking into this one and finding out what exactly the steps are to do it. Just to know what the process is, at least. For example:

• Do you need to register with the city (where it’s decided to call home)?
  • Do you need an association mailing address? (Can it be the address of an association member?)
  • Do you need a bank account? (That would probably help with certain things, but maybe not a deal breaker.)
  • Etc.

Last edited by Destry (2015-07-22 00:53:01)

The text persuades, the *notes prove。

#85 2015-07-22 05:06:05

maruchan
Website

Some interesting reading on this:

tiki.org/Tiki+Software+Community+Association

tiki.org/Role+of+Tiki+Software+Community+Association

It seems like you need a legally-recognized entity to do certain handy-in-the-software-arena things like holding trademarks. So either an individual or a legally-recognized association, from what I read here. I’m not sure how difficult it would be to get this set up, but if it would help prevent problems in the future, and even have some benefits in clarifying communication channels, administrative decision-making, etc., then maybe it’s worth the effort?

#86 2015-08-11 13:41:26

zero
Website

Now the discussion has moved from Domains to legally-recognized entities, I have started a new thread. There is also some follow-up to this thread starting here.

TXPQ Examples and discussion of Textpattern CMS quality.
Safe Reiki Harmless natural healing.

#87 2015-09-23 03:20:54

bici
Website

philwareham wrote #293477:

…. I am still sticking with plan of getting some DNS control by open and friendly communications with Dean.

On this firs day of Fall 2015 …. Are there any updates on your discussion with Dean? Has he indicated his preferences re domains?

…. texted postive

#88 2018-01-22 03:56:02

bici
Website

Just a heads up. Seems the Gandi french connection is gone. Back to his roots – the new registrar is in Canada:

Domain Name: TEXTPATTERN.COM
Domain ID: 31910989_DOMAIN_COM-VRSN
Registrar WHOIS Server: whois.easydns.com
Registrar URL: http://www.easydns.com
Updated Date: 2017-05-30T18:46:42Z
Creation Date: 2000-07-26T06:13:10Z
Registrar Registration Expiration Date: 2019-07-26T06:13:10Z
Registrar: easyDNS Technologies, Inc.
Registrar IANA ID: 469
Domain Status: ok https://icann.org/eppok
Registry Registrant ID:
Registrant Name: Dean Allen
Registrant Organization: Dean Allen
Registrant Street: 125a-1030 Denman
Registrant City: Vancouver
Registrant State/Province: BC
Registrant Postal Code: V6G 2M6
Registrant Country: CA
Registrant Phone: 1.6046833290
Registrant Phone Ext:
Registrant Fax: 1.6046833253
Registrant Fax Ext:
Registrant Email: untextism@gmail.com

I called the telephone numbers and they are not in service. One may be a fax number.
The address is a UPS service center which offers Mailbox Services. It is located in the West End near his early domicile.
The email seems new. I sent a test message and it didn’t bounce.

SIS/MI6 level tradecraft at play

…. texted postive

#89 2018-03-08 21:57:50

bici
Website

bici wrote #295083:

On this firs day of Fall 2015 …. Are there any updates on your discussion with Dean? Has he indicated his preferences re domains?

I believe someone recently posted that they received communication from Dean to assure a transfer of the textpatter.com domain to the admins.

Has this in fact transpired. Is the domain now in the control of the TxP Community/Devs.?

…. texted postive

#90 2018-03-08 22:15:44

philwareham
Core designer
Website

Hi. Yes the domains are safe and in our ownership.

Board footer