Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#81 2016-06-04 01:43:27

maverick
Website

Re: Improvements to editor (write page, code pages)

@Bloke

By the way – just an upfront thanks for the incredible amount of time and effort you have put into the new release, and the upcoming releases, as well as to the rest of the devs and contributors!

The new branch w/ unlimited custom fields sounds really good. And yes, it sounds like it make custom content types possible – which is part of what I’ve been hoping would be opening up. It’s exciting times for Textpattern.

Tying cf to Sections, etc – would be excellent – a very nice smart ui feature.

Ax echoed more succinctly the intent of my post when he said “I find the two boxes, body and excerpt, not ideal. For some purposes, you would rather like to have three, or five, or only one, and with a header and ordering of your own choice.”

Sometimes maybe you don’t want any of the pre-existing content pages. You just want a simple page with 5 custom fields. No body, no excerpt. Maybe even no title.

I think right now that would require a lot of hiding using bot_write_tab_customize, or css mods under the new hive admin theme, or smd_tabber and mem_form and/or zem_contact_reborn, and perhaps on occasion some additional hacking . .

I just keep imagining something more elegant for creating custom content page.

smd_tabber works well enough but mem_form can be a tough plugin to grasp at times – or maybe it’s just me who has had problems working the bugs out.

So I dream of nice tag like <txp:input cf=“my_shiny_new_custom_field” />. Perhaps an attribute that allows you to tie into content types and ui elements added by other plugins. Then that can be used on smd_tabber to build a custom content page.

Last edited by maverick (2016-06-04 10:27:10)

#82 2016-06-04 09:41:18

Destry
Website

Everything Mav said. Including a huge appreciation for your efforts, Stef, on bringing Txp custom fields into the modern age. Can’t wait to test the 4.7 concepts.

Last edited by Destry (2016-06-06 09:28:15)

The text persuades, the *notes prove。

#83 2016-06-05 22:15:36

jakob
Website

maverick wrote #299481:

Perhaps we go beyond just draggable panels (which is a good start!) and begin to think about making it an option for developers to design an entire admin page with just the custom fields they want; without having to hide a bunch of stuff with CSS and plugins.

maverick wrote #299500:

I just keep imagining something more elegant for creating custom content page.

smd_tabber works well enough but mem_form can be a tough plugin to grasp at times – or maybe it’s just me who has had problems working the bugs out.

So I dream of nice tag like <txp:input cf=“my_shiny_new_custom_field” />. Perhaps an attribute that allows you to tie into content types and ui elements added by other plugins. Then that can be used on smd_tabber to build a custom content page.

Yes, that echoes my thoughts exactly. Drag and drop and positioning is nice and looks cool in a cms demo video but – for the most part – you’re not changing things around often. Most entry panes are set once and then stay that way. And as it is (mostly) the developer who sets up what goes where, it would be very txp-like to have admin-pane templates in which it would be possible to define one’s one data entry and entry-list panes, and be able to remove those cases from the regular articles list. The new “partials” setup for the write tab is already a step towards that modularisation of admin ui items.

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

Board footer