Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#21 2012-07-13 09:57:38

philwareham
Core designer
Website

Re: Textpattern's setup process

@jelle

That seems like a nice idea. Not sure it can be done for v4.5 though.

A kicked another idea about with Stef the other day. Maybe one day we could expand the new “Site configuration” section of the setup process to include:

<label for"whatever">Front-side theme</label> <a class="pophelp" ...>?</a></label>
<select name="whatever" id'="whatever">
    <option>Core: blog</option>
    <option>Core: business</option>
    <option>Core: magazine</option>
    <option>Twitter Bootstrap</option>
    <option>Zurb Foundation</optipon>
    ...etc...
</select>

How good would that be? Anyway, that’s a topic for a future discussion.

Last edited by philwareham (2012-07-13 09:59:17)

#22 2012-07-13 13:10:19

Bloke
Developer
Website

I left the password box open for the simple reason I couldn’t be bothered to put a second password and verification step in.

They’re useless anyway imo. Because I’m lazy I always type the password into a text editor, then paste it in twice. Waste of effort otherwise. Same with stupid systems that get you to verify e-mail addresses; I just type it in once, CTRL-A, CTRL-C, Tab, CTRL-V. How that stops me making an error is beyond me; if people who run sites think I’m wasting time typing the same thing twice, they’ve got another thing coming. It’s how I maintain the illusion of doing tonnes of things at once; through an insanely optimised keystroke process :-p I have to wait for computers, they never have to wait for me.

But if people really feel strongly that we need two password boxes with asterisks in them, another error message, and it benefits the UX, then what the heck.

Last edited by Bloke (2012-07-13 13:11:21)

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#23 2012-07-16 08:30:35

wet
Developer
Website

Gocom wrote:

When the MySQL user or server is left empty, the MySQL connection is created using either defaults set in server configuration or the current process owner.

The connection might also be created with a user name from ~/.my.cnf. I think this is a valid use case.

#24 2012-07-16 09:25:30

Gocom
Plugin Author
Website

wet wrote:

The connection might also be created with a user name from ~/.my.cnf. I think this is a valid use case.

That is true. What do think if the confg.php was populated with the user-details used during install? To prevent MySQL from changing to a superuser. I know it’s very edge case. Its very unlikely that someone leaves the fields empty by accident and then gets successful link in top of everything.

#25 2012-07-16 09:35:16

wet
Developer
Website

Gocom wrote:

What do think if the confg.php was populated with the user-details used during install?

How can I gather those without getting into O/S specifics?

Board footer