#31 2009-01-09 12:54:17

Bloke
Developer
Website

Re: smd_calendar: complete schedule / event / calendar / diary

FireFusion wrote:

Option 2 also I think :)

Cool.

For the other question; if you can’t change the time or other details shouldn’t it just show once anyway?

Yes, it should but as far as the code is concerned it is 2 events: once “spanned” multi event and an “extra” event (that happens to be the same date and time) on the same day. I can probably find a way to remove it, I just wanted to know if anyone thought it was of any use to have two events of different types show up on one day, before I go ahead and work out how to stop it happening!

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#32 2009-01-10 01:11:07

rsilletti

Bloke wrote:

for some reason TXP throws an error if you give it a login name; it seems mandatory for it to be the html-encoded Real Name (shame it can’t be either, or allow an ?authorid= param).

I would suspect after dealing with all of that writing author_list that the caveat may have to do with displaying logins as a part of the url, the handling of real name and user name could have been handled in a more straight forward fashion like category’s name and title handling otherwise.

With a little tweeking I’ve got a set of tags working that will show an event calender in its own section that will filter by author from a sidebar list of authors, which is what I was looking for actually. I haven’t had time to test completely yet, but I’m guessing that transiting back and forth thru time won’t affect filtering once it is accomplished. It requires an updated version of ras_author_list (4.0.8.dev) or hardcoded urls, hopefully future updates won’t break this option. The tags are simple and basic and go this way:

<txp:ras_author_list wraptag="ul" break="li" this_section="1" />
<txp:smd_calendar size="large" section="events" author='<txp:ras_user />' />

Last edited by rsilletti (2009-01-10 03:00:46)

#33 2009-01-20 17:38:29

rsilletti

I’ve got a quick example up here and I’m wondering if there are any styles that have been written that anyone might be willing to share. I’m using the site primarily to test RC2 4.0.8 and a variety of other ideas, mostly for fun, and the task of styling the large event calendar feels a bit to me like trying to hug a fully inflated spiny puffer fish – CSS not being my strength.
Also, and I haven’t tested this completely to ensure it isn’t actually working the way it should, this should filter linked events in the calendar itself by category on the default page as returned with a category search – correct?

<txp:smd_calender size="small" category='<txp:category />' />

Last edited by rsilletti (2009-01-20 17:39:42)

#34 2009-01-20 20:28:36

Bloke
Developer
Website

rsilletti wrote:

this should filter linked events in the calendar itself by category on the default page as returned with a category search… <txp:smd_calender size="small" category='<txp:category />' />

Yep, in theory. I’ve not actually tried it on a small calendar — I don’t have one to hand right now — but it certainly works on the large one because I’ve just tried it.

It used to (in v0.2x) do that by default without you having to specify the category, as I’d hard-coded $pretext['c'] in the category attribute, but I removed it in v0.3 for reasons best known to myself; reasons now lost in the haze of Christmas. If you think it would be beneficial to re-instate this auto-category (I also had auto-author and auto-section as well) then let me know and I’ll put it back in v0.4.

The only drawback (I think, but if anyone can find any more then please let me know) is that if you specifically don’t want to filter by category you must add category="" to your calendar tag. This is kind of negative logic in the sense that I prefer the modus operandi “if you need it, ask for it” rather than “if you don’t need it, turn it off”. But if the majority of people think it’s cool to be able to auto-filter by the current section, current category and current author then I’ll certainly put it back in to save you having to type as many attributes!

Let me know what your thoughts are. v0.4 is ready to go, so whatever you all choose will be put in this version.

Last edited by Bloke (2009-01-20 20:29:17)

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

#35 2009-01-20 21:42:16

rsilletti

Yes, it does filter, what fooled me was that one article was posted to a “don’t show on front page section” which was linked in the calendar, but no shown in the article list. Not sure how I feel about that yet?
I’m definitely of the “I’ll explicitly ask for it if I want it” school of thought for categories and sections.

Example , the second article is assigned to the about section “about not on front page”, I guess you could organize your category assignments to avoid that though.

#36 2009-01-20 21:55:51

Bloke
Developer
Website

rsilletti wrote:

Yes, it does filter, what fooled me was that one article was posted to a “don’t show on front page section” which was linked in the calendar, but no shown in the article list. Not sure how I feel about that yet?

Ah, right, ok. I can (probably should) take the “don’t show on front page” into account. I’d forgotten about it (mainly becasue I never put a calendar on the front page; it was always in a section). Good call, thanks, will see what I can do.

Last edited by Bloke (2009-01-20 21:56:43)

#37 2009-01-21 14:42:04

decoderltd
Website

Hi Stef,

A really big thank you for this great plug-in, it’s going to be essential for a couple of pro bono sites I’m working on. I had started using zem_event but support pretty much dried up although pebebe had expressed an interest in developing the next version. I did like it’s integration into TXP in that it didn’t need to use custom fields, which makes it very easy for clients to use. However, the functionality and options available in smd_calendar is amazing and much appreciated.

A couple of questions; I have one event which falls on the second Tuesday of each month and the only way I get it to work is to use first tuesday +1 week in custom field 1 (second tuesday just wouldn’t work) – is there a more elegant way to achieve this? Secondly, I’m trying to set-up a form to display the title/date/location/excerpt in a block, but I’m confused as to which tags I should be using – could you point me in the right direction?

Thanks again.

#38 2009-01-21 16:31:35

Bloke
Developer
Website

decoderltd wrote:

A couple of questions; I have one event which falls on the second Tuesday of each month and the only way I get it to work is to use first tuesday +1 week in custom field 1 (second tuesday just wouldn’t work)

That’s a neat way to sidestep the bug in the current version!

“second tuesday” will in fact repeat the event every 2nd tuesday not on the 2nd tuesday of the month. v0.4 fixes the second/third/fourth/fifth conundrum by officially allowing an undocumented feature that’s been lurking in the plugin for a while now. Namely, in the stepfield you can use ?month and ?year to substitute the current month/year. Thus second tuesday ?month ?year will work as you intended.

Secondly, I’m trying to set-up a form to display the title/date/location/excerpt in a block, but I’m confused as to which tags I should be using – could you point me in the right direction?

Sure, but can I get back to you on that later today? I have a few things to do right now. And first of all I’d like to…

#39 2009-01-21 16:38:09

Bloke
Developer
Website

… officially release v0.4 | zipped which:

• fixes a few things like the URL rewriting, the front page foible and an infinite loop situation
  • adds the extrafield thing for FireFusion
  • adds realname support
  • adds a whole slew of new {events}
  • adds a few more output options when dealing with select lists
  • IMPORTANT: changes one thing from the 0.3x revs: when using smd_cal_info use s instead of section if you want the current (URL) section. Using section grabs the current article’s section (for example, the section of the current event on the calendar as it is being built inside one of the forms) not the section of the article being viewed next to the calendar itself! If that makes sense…

See how you get on; you know where I live.

Last edited by Bloke (2009-01-21 16:39:34)

#40 2009-01-21 17:09:42

decoderltd
Website

Hi Stef,

Thank you for coming back to me.

I’ve upgraded to 0.4 and used second tuesday ?month ?year but none of the events are now displaying. Is there something else I need to amend?

Board footer