#1 2007-02-21 22:20:55

wet
Developer
Website

wet_quicklink: Quick internal link builder

wet_quicklink inserts a link to an existing article the easy way:

• Buzzword compliant, as it is kind of AJAXy
  • State of the art, as it was built with jQuery
  • Web 2.0-style beta release, as it was only slightly tested with the latest breed of all browsers (FF2, IE7, O9.1, no test on Macs as I don’t own one)

Documentation and download.

#2 2007-02-22 00:08:08

marios
Plugin Author

Re: wet_quicklink: Quick internal link builder

@robert, seems to work well on Safari (Version 2.0.4 (419.3)
(Don’t know on version 1.3 though)

Tested on TXD Live install.
( May be you want to mention in your installation instraction that the filename needs to be
jquery.js )

I was using an older plugin, that inserts links automatically ( hpw_autolinks I think it was called)
but I had to disable that one, since it caused problems.

Great innovative work.

Do you think, that it would be difficult to implement a feature, so it would be able, to fetch links also from another TLD.
( That would be interisting for crosslinking stuff. Just a Thought)

regards, marios

Last edited by marios (2007-02-22 13:03:10)

⌃ ⇧ < ⌃ ⇧ >

#3 2007-02-22 00:33:59

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

Very nice Robert, can we do the same for images ;)

#4 2007-02-22 05:20:55

wet
Developer
Website

marios wrote:

Do you think, that it would be difficult to implement a feature, so it would be able, to fetch links also from another TLD.

Technically speaking, it would be possible, as article information is fetched via wet_peex (which would then have to be installed on the remote end), and thus is available as a HTTP response.

For privacy and security reasons, I’ve deliberately built wet_peex to work only for a user logged in from the backend, so cross-linking sites is restricted on purpose. Anyhow, one could think of a mode for wet_peex which would run in the public space – it would then only deliver articles with a “live” or “sticky” status and would have to obey other restrictions, e.g. with respect to nonpublic sections and password protected areas.

I encourage anbody who’s interestd in such a feature to add her/his thoughts on this matter.

#5 2007-02-22 06:00:20

wet
Developer
Website

hcgtv wrote:

Very nice Robert, can we do the same for images ;)

Hmm, I don’t think so, as upm_img_popper is fine for me. The sections screen would be my next itch to scratch…

#6 2007-02-22 07:03:04

marios
Plugin Author

wet wrote:

marios wrote:

Technically speaking, it would be possible, as article information is fetched via wet_peex (which would then have to be installed on the remote end), and thus is available as a HTTP response.

For privacy and security reasons, I’ve deliberately built wet_peex to work only for a user logged in from the backend, so cross-linking sites is restricted on purpose. Anyhow, one could think of a mode for wet_peex which would run in the public space – it would then only deliver articles with a “live” or “sticky” status and would have to obey other restrictions, e.g. with respect to nonpublic sections and password protected areas.

@wet, interesting.

I had first thought, that a way to do that, could be to use the feeds of the domain/s could be used, thus going around the permission thing and mixed up with the backends txp article table entries, much like it is done in bit_rss and cached somewhere.
That would probably slow down the Site.
However, just an (unexpertized) thought.

regards, marios

Last edited by marios (2007-02-22 13:01:42)

⌃ ⇧ < ⌃ ⇧ >

#7 2007-02-22 07:09:59

wet
Developer
Website

marios wrote:

I had first thought, that a way to do that, could be to use the feeds of the domain/s could be used

This was my very first thought before I even started to add my own XML data source. But feeds are typically limited to the N most recents posts, and therefore too slim for this purpose.

(BTW: Thanks for donating, makes me a happy coder!)

#8 2007-02-22 08:57:03

candyman

Followed carefully all the instructions, renamed fron jQuery.js to jquery.js and jqery.js as suggested by marios: it doesn’t work. May be that I’m using the Italian language the problem?

#9 2007-02-22 09:11:03

wet
Developer
Website

First: The proper file name is jquery.js (with a ‘u’). And I don’t think his plugin depends on the site’s language.

Try this:

1. open http://www.yoursite.com/textpattern/index.php with your browser. You should see the common article entry screen.

2. open http://www.yoursite.com/textpattern/js/jquery.js with your browser. Tell me what you see! It should approximately look like this:

/*
 * jQuery 1.1.1 - New Wave Javascript
 * Copyright (c) 2007 John Resig (jquery.com)
 * Dual licensed under the MIT (MIT-LICENSE.txt)
 * and GPL (GPL-LICENSE.txt) licenses.
 * $Date: 2007-01-21 22:27:54 -0700 (Sun, 21 Jan 2007) $
 * $Rev: 1153 $
 */
[...illegible glibberish follows...]

3. open http://www.yoursite.com/textpattern/?wet_peex=section This should be either rendered as a tag structure…

<textpattern>
<message>not implemented</message>
</textpattern>

…or offered as a downloadable file, depending on the browser you are using. Again, tell me what happens!

(To state the obvious: Replace http://www.yoursite.com/textpattern/ from above addresses with the actual path to your Textpattern backend)

#10 2007-02-22 09:46:34

sthmtc
Website

thanks wet, very nice plugin! also for the record: it seems to work fine in safari on os x.

Board footer