Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#11 2019-03-29 10:07:30

jakob
Admin
Website

Re: Brave Browser

Interestingly, Cliqz and Brave look very similar, except for the colours, but as far as I can tell, Brave is based on Chromium (like Chrome) and Cliqz on Gecko (like Firefox). I’m intrigued by what I read about Cliqz’s “not just search results but search answers” approach. How useful is that in practice?

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#12 2019-03-29 12:06:21

zero
Website

jakob wrote #317379:

I feel now like I really dissed it, but I was merely relaying what I read. Personally I actually liked it and read the comments I linked to with a sense of dismay. I use it less as a result, too.

That might not necessarily be the browser. Many browsers now assume https and warn when a site has no certificate or an incorrect certificate, requiring you to grant it as an exception to visit it.
Some ad blockers also block links from sponsored google search results or google shopping results.

Sorry jakob, my post was clumsy. I was happy with Brave at first but when you mentioned something about its problems, it was after that when I started having problems myself. I remember now that it wouldn’t save bookmarks to the bookmark toolbar. Then it did “automatic updates” which simply replaced my existing version with a completely new version taking all my settings, customisation etc with it. Regarding not connecting to sites, it might have been along the lines you suggest but without any warnings or indications. So I’d had enough and ditched it. I use xubuntu by the way.

Wondrous Healing 3 wondrous ways to a healthy old age
Safe Reiki Harmless natural healing.

#13 2019-03-31 12:53:25

Pat64
Plugin Author
Website

#14 2019-03-31 13:14:40

Destry
Website

From what I understand by the infosec extremists on M’don, IceCat has run with the ethical browser design further than any other at this point.

The text persuades, the *notes prove。

#15 2019-04-08 09:29:48

Destry
Website

Future versions of mainstream browsers, except FF (so far), to prevent disabling ‘click-track’ browsing. I.e., they’re going to make it easier for scuzballs to track you.

I’m not sure I’d trust Brave, Vivaldi, or any other semi-known upstart at this point, unless their project looks 100% dedicated to privacy, and I don’t think those are.

That said, just learned about Iridium Browser, but I don’t know much about it yet.

#16 2019-04-08 09:37:50

colak
Admin
Website

Destry wrote #317532:

That said, just learned about Iridium Browser, but I don’t know much about it yet.

Hmmm

But it does call home to Google …

Yiannis
——————————
neme.org | hblack.net | LABS | State Machines | Respbublika! | NeMe @ github

#17 2019-04-08 09:43:11

Destry
Website

Iridium is based on Chrome, and they’re transparent about that, but unlike Vivaldi, for example, they seem to be modifying it more proactively:

We analysed the code of Chromium and stripped out the functionality which exposes data to others in a way we don‘t like.

So, there might be some Goog code signature there, but that may not mean it’s still insecure or benefiting trackers, and especially Google.

But, again, I don’t know much about it, just what I’m reading there. Nice to see projects trying. And it is out of Germany, a place that hates Google, for the most part.

#18 2019-04-08 11:21:47

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

Destry wrote #317532:

Future versions of mainstream browsers, except FF (so far), to prevent disabling ‘click-track’ browsing. I.e., they’re going to make it easier for scuzballs to track you.

I don’t think that is correct – and the discussion around this is at least 10 years old. See e.g R. Mondelo (Safari engineer). Or a commenter on Michael Tsai’s blog. Just picking up a few (very few) dissenting opinions.

#19 2019-04-08 13:46:37

Destry
Website

phiw13 wrote #317536:

I don’t think that is correct

Which part, exactly? Excepting the ‘I.e.’ there, which was just my lack of knowledge on the matter.

All I know is the article is from a couple days ago.

It does give kudos to Brave, which I missed the first pass.

But this site is happily using Quantcast ad-tracking, the scurge of GDPR, so the double-stardard is offputting. Gawd, I hate sites like this.

#20 2019-04-08 22:39:32

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

Destry wrote #317540:

Which part, exactly? Excepting the ‘I.e.’ there, which was just my lack of knowledge on the matter.

the privacy thing / making it easier to track you.

Board footer