Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2019-03-15 16:05:56

philwareham
Core designer
Website

Forum Dark Mode support

I’ve just added support for Dark Mode in this forum (depends on OS and browser support – e.g. Firefox 67 and macOS Mojave). Let me know how it works for you.

After a period of testing here, I will also update our docs site and the Textpattern homepage/blog to support darkness too.

#2 2019-03-16 00:45:49

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

Re: Forum Dark Mode support

It seems to hold well with Safari TP.

As a side note, I find it interesting that you choose to go with cold blacks/greys (HSL(210,5%,**)) for the background colours. I rather choose to go with warmer blacks / greys (HSL(50,5%,**)). That also helps reduce the blue glare typical of contemporary screens.

#3 2019-03-16 09:04:49

philwareham
Core designer
Website

I followed the design cues in Apple’s Dark Mode recommendations to a certain extent. I guess their thinking is that people will night shift to warner hues to lessen blue glare late at night. It’s a fair point though – interesting to see where designers go with this.

#4 2019-03-16 09:36:05

jakob
Website

Is this currently dependent on having a nightly version of Firefox or the technology preview of safari? Or can we test this manually (also in the txp admin area) … even if just by manually changing/adding a class or directive via the web inspector?

Something else: one thing I noticed on the forum is that on short posts the message pane (postright) doesn’t extend to the bottom of the post block (postbody).

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#5 2019-03-16 11:50:31

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

philwareham wrote #317100:

I followed the design cues in Apple’s Dark Mode recommendations to a certain extent. I guess their thinking is that people will night shift to warner hues to lessen blue glare late at night. It’s a fair point though – interesting to see where designers go with this.

Hmm, but people use Dark Mode all day long… In my eyes (that is very personal experience), using cold / blueish dark tones makes that bleu glare harder all day long. But yeah, we’ll see how it plays out and what people use for their web apps – and how it will play out once iOS (next?) supports dark mode and once the Various Androids do.

(I use a yellow/orange toned desktop image on all my devices to reduce that blue glare a little)

#6 2019-03-16 11:53:40

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

jakob wrote #317101:

Is this currently dependent on having a nightly version of Firefox or the technology preview of safari? Or can we test this manually (also in the txp admin area) … even if just by manually changing/adding a class or directive via the web inspector?

Yes, I think so, as it relies to on Media Queries in the stylesheet. No other browser support those currently.

I think this issue might bring some more flexibility to the TXP admin interface. I think it might be a value addition.

Board footer