Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#11 2019-03-03 21:42:27

jakob
Website

Re: Older style Textile parsing for 4.7.3?

These are actively used; there are a few more legacy ones installed

Good news, most of those can be replaced or happily ditched:

• lum_p -> looks like a helper plugin for other lum_ plugins but there aren’t any so it can probably go.
  • phw_DTD -> no longer necessary, just cut straight to <!doctype html> and set HTML5 in Admin › Prefs.
  • wet_plugout -> for switching off plugins. May still work but once you’ve cleaned out the other plugins, I guess you don’t really have a need for it.
  • zem_contact_reborn + zem_contact_lang + pap_contact_cleaner -> Replace with com_connect + a revised pap_comconnect. You can basically replace all txp:zem_contact tags with txp:com_connect and it will work. You might need to adjust your css styling accordingly (same principle), but it is effectively a drop-in update now (com)munity maintained.
  • zem_ir -> probably still works, but just use a webfont instead and it’ll be miles better: sharper, selectable, more lightweight.
  • zem_nth -> all doable now with css styling and nth-child. You can drop this.
  • zem_posted -> the format and gmt attributes of txp:posted should get you there…
  • rah_sitemap -> still works but you can now roll your own by making a sitemap section, using txp:header and an htaccess rule. See this post and those before/after it.

… which leaves the following as the only outlier…

• ras_recent_articles -> I haven’t found all that much about it online so it’s hard to tell. Maybe txp:recent_articles will do what you want?

The biggest reason for getting rid of Connections would be to get rid of my “13 year old plus design”. Although it works fine for what I’ve used it for, it’s very dated, and not horribly impressive. I absolutely refuse to rebuild everything as YAML and run some command line parser every time I want to post something, though.

The pages + forms (+styles) setup of textpattern is the same as before and is a little more flexible too, so no need to use any other templating method. Connections is fairly simple main column plus sidebar layout with menu and header image. Phil’s stock template is a good basis for blogging site and he’s gone to the extra effort of adding all the extra schema.org elements that help it get read by search engines. The main page has a container, main and aside in the source and you can quickly rejig the single column to a side-column setup by altering the css. You could do worse than duplicate that theme to a new name, then start embellishing from there…

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#12 2019-03-03 22:12:31

neptho

Wow!

Thank you again for taking all of the time to assist with tracking down all of these plugins, @Jakob.

It really is nice seeing a forum which is still helpful toward those who have fallen a bit behind, and are out of their element. (Needs to say, 2005 was a little while back.)

I’ve deployed a stock 4.7.3, and have only rebuilt zem_ir, and a fairly modified zem_contact_reborn with the language stuff stripped, some internal text handling, and the majority of my site is nearly as functional as it once was. I’ll look into using webfonts; I was using it primarily just to provide a contact email address so it wouldn’t be quite so readily farmed. I’ll look into an internal sitemap build; thanks for the link!

The only other thing which was actively used beyond the doc hack was the web player that I posted using twice- around 2010. I can probably just convert that video to webm and ditch it entirely.

I rebuilt my good old static page view and form, with custom sections for my “dynostatic” pages which are designed to show the latest txp:article for that section, and I have my custom navbar back. :)

I’ve already destroyed Phils’ “Wait, this is what HTML looks like now?” code in a few places, but for now it brings back essential functionality that I (and the 3 people who find my page a year) expect available with my ancient articles. Needless to say- I’m not much of a designer, which is why I ran that dated theme for so long. I wouldn’t mind something which didn’t scale quite so large, but I’ll deal with that later- no more need to cringe on mobile!

Thank you!

#13 2019-03-03 23:05:28

jakob
Website

A very simple way to get the content and sidebar layout is to add:

.container {
    display: flex;
    min-height: 100%;
}
main {
    flex: 5;
    padding-right: 3rem;
}
.complementary-content {
    flex: 1;
}

Obviously you can do a lot more than that, or be more specific about it, but it illustrates the principle.

And if you don’t want the text to be enlarged at wider viewport widths, you can comment out this rule:

/* ==========================================================================
   Additional layout for screen media 864px and up
   ========================================================================== */
@media only screen and (min-width: 46em) {
  /**
     * Enlarge baseline text size.
     */
  html {
    /* font-size: 1.125rem; */
  }
}

And then you can start adding things like your recent articles back into the aside section for your sidebar…

EDIT: You can embed video natively in HTML5, of course, but if you are on the lookout for a general purpose embedder, try oui_video and it’s partner plugins for different providers. It’s very versatile.

ONE MORE THING: There are some email obfuscation plugins for txp like yab_email (and I’m sure there are others), but if you just need your email once on the page, a quite effective obfuscator is hivelogic’s enkoder .

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#14 2019-03-04 09:11:40

philwareham
Core designer
Website

I’m going to rewrite the default theme to a certain extent in Textpattern v4.8 – and also include the grid scaffolding from my general dev framework.

Board footer