Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#11 2018-11-16 21:40:49

jakob
Website

Re: Offline Documentation

Doesn’t Jekyll’s build process generate a folder full of static html pages?

If so, presumably zipping that up for download would provide a self-contained offline resource? Or would it require a local web server?

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#12 2018-11-17 10:10:54

philwareham
Core designer
Website

Yes I used Jekyll for the site as that is what runs GitHub Pages. You can build a working local site from the repo if you run a few command line instructions.

I would, however, need to do a few things to get it working offline – change the URLs to relative URLs (which is probably a good thing anyway) and bundle the CSS and JavaScript (as it uses those directly from our main site for my ease of development).

I can look at some of the above next week sometime.

Another thing worth considering is offline storage. Not sure that helps Dale directly as it still needs at least one initial connection to internet. However it’s helpful for other situations where you are offline. I’ve dabbled with it but it’s quite complex for me due to my limited JacaScript skills. Any help on this greatly appreciated.

#13 2018-11-17 12:20:51

GugUser

With the Download Manager of the iCab Browser you can download the whole docs.textpattern.com/ set and the URLs will work locally.

#14 2018-11-17 18:12:23

mrdale
Website

philwareham wrote #315339:

You can build a working local site from the repo if you run a few command line instructions.

Can you list these commands? I checked out jekyl which seems pretty darn useful.

I would, however, need to do a few things to get it working offline – change the URLs to relative URLs (which is probably a good thing anyway) and bundle the CSS and JavaScript (as it uses those directly from our main site for my ease of development).

I did use sitesucker and grabbed both docs.textpattern.com and textpattern.com (which gave me the assets folder) Sitesucker took care of the relative links, so now I have an offline equivalent, and have thrown my students at it.

How does the search function work? ie can it be made to operate in an offline environment?

#15 2018-11-18 07:57:25

philwareham
Core designer
Website

The search is fine with JavaScript (because Jekyll is a flat fine system there is no database to search so this is the best option – not great but it works). Again, if I bundle the CSS and JS it should work offline.

#16 2018-11-18 16:53:41

colak
Admin
Website

I like the way the phplist team is actually distributing their manuals. Admittedly, I hate the layout and graphics of their epub though.

Yiannis
——————————
neme.org | hblack.net | LABS | State Machines | NeMe @ github

Board footer