Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#431 2018-07-18 02:06:21

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

Re: Txp cookies, visitor logging, and GDPR stuff in general

GDPR is slowly making its way into Japanese legislation. EU and Japan signed a pretty wide-ranged Partnership Agreement. As part of this: The European Union and Japan agreed to create the world’s largest area of safe data flows (European Commission – Press release). There will be reciprocity.

Good. Sometimes those neolibcon trade agreements do have a positive side effect for us, the peeps.

#432 2018-07-18 10:12:51

planeth
Plugin Author
Website

phiw13 wrote #313051:

GDPR is slowly making its way into Japanese legislation. EU and Japan signed a pretty wide-ranged Partnership Agreement.

This is good news. And the article says that Japan will be granted an adequacy decision in the fall.

#433 2018-07-18 10:55:04

Destry
Website

EU hits Google with €5B fine for Android shoving.

I think I’ll report Google and Free to CNIL for forcing Android into my television through FreeBox. Fockers.

The text persuades, the *notes prove。

#434 2018-07-18 13:29:47

michaelkpate
Website

Destry wrote #313062:

EU hits Google with €5B fine for Android shoving.

In other words, Google was fined for not being Apple and allowing manufacturers to use Android. No one was required to enter an agreement – lots of companies like, for instance, Amazon have used the code from Android Open Source Project to create devices completely independently.

The free distribution of the Android platform, and of Google’s suite of applications, is not only efficient for phone makers and operators—it’s of huge benefit for developers and consumers. If phone makers and mobile network operators couldn’t include our apps on their wide range of devices, it would upset the balance of the Android ecosystem. So far, the Android business model has meant that we haven’t had to charge phone makers for our technology, or depend on a tightly controlled distribution model. – Sundar Pichai

This reminds me of the whole Browser Choice thing from 2010: Hey, Microsoft, because you sell a lot of copies of Windows you have to do things that Apple doesn’t. Now what we really want is for every copy of Windows to come with Opera preinstalled and set as default but since we can’t actually say that so instead you have to give everyone a choice of a bunch of browsers no one ever heard of and even less people want to use.

Ironically, the number one thing people do with Edge is download Chrome.

#435 2018-07-18 15:06:34

Destry
Website

Google, Apple, Microsoft, Amazon… I couldn’t care less about any of them or their products. It’s all tech giant lock-in one way or the other. I look forward to the day I’m free of them all.

I’m really hoping Purism’s Librem 5 phone comes through. It’s laptops are already proving to be popular with owners, but to provide a totally independent phone option, a big hurdle for sure, will be significant. I hope more companies will follow when the ice is broken.

#436 2018-07-18 16:06:09

bici
Website

…. texted postive

#437 2018-07-18 16:45:24

michaelkpate
Website

#438 2018-07-18 18:23:17

bici
Website

michaelkpate wrote #313067:

DuckDuckGo

Go DuckDuck Go!

…. texted postive

#439 2018-07-19 04:02:20

bici
Website

“We have to guard against the tendency for social media to become purely a platform for spectacle and outrage and disinformation.”
Barack Obama

…. texted postive

#440 2018-07-19 10:12:02

Destry
Website

O’s rehearsed message is right, but I’m want to say…

Ah, O, the silver-tongued slickster, who all the neolibs love to croon about, and who are represented by the very ‘spectacle’ O speaks of — case in point — as they pontificate at the high podiums of their verified ‘celebrity’ accounts.

If O really new what he was talking about when it comes to socmed, he’d be telling people to GTFO Twitter and FB. Stat!

I wish one person having any widely-known status at all would have the gonads to say that. Even Dash fails here (expectedly a ‘verified’ response). His article is better than the humorous title, but in the end it’s just another ‘we can save Twitter’ crock of shiza pudding.

Board footer