Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#11 2015-07-15 19:33:27

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

Re: Domains

zero wrote #293264:

I share the same fear. But I prefer .com, .net, .org etc to these new TLDs. I think Bert is right that a new name is best but I think combining that with custom fields and themes release might be the best time to announce it to the world.

That’s my thinking also, with Themes coming on board, unlimited custom fields, and the new admin layout, now would be a perfect time to make the switch.

As far as hosting goes, DreamHost has these VPS offerings which I happen to like. It’s your own slice, but they manage it for you, the VPS runs Ubuntu 12.0.4 [LAMP VPS (live)]. This way you get the best of being secure in your own home directory, and having the all important root access. A huge draw is that the slice can grow at will, if you need more memory or disk space.

I would venture to say that PHPCrossRef gets as much daily traffic as Textpattern.com, and all my sites remain very responsive. My VPS has 2000MB of RAM, 60GB of disk space on fast SSD drives.

DreamHost is used by others here, heck the front page has an ad going down the left side that links to: http://www.dreamhost.com/r.cgi?242336 – someone on the dev team is looking for some affiliate juice ;)

#12 2015-07-15 19:53:52

gaekwad

zero wrote #293268:

Are you saying they’d host for free because of the goodwill that would be passed on to them?

Good question. Sort of. A bunch of open source websites have ‘hosting provided by x’ or ‘support provided by y’, and there is inevitably some level of cross-pollination.

Textpattern on Textdrive is the classic happy meal combo, which was scooped up by Joyent, who then EOL’d Textdrive after a while, and then Kaizengarden appeared (I’m not sure of its current status, but it wasn’t peachy a few days ago) and gathered some of the Textdrive emigres. Why is this? Because of Jacques, presumably. He was Textdrive for a while toward the end. If a respectable hosting company provided a VPS, traditional or new fangled whatever, and they were supportive of the project by this action, there would – I think – be some level of investment back from interested users. They don’t need to necessarily be actively involved, either – some level of passing interest would be a good start.

The customer acquisition cost of web hosting customers can be very high, especially with some of the astronomical payouts on affiliate schemes, so offering a reliable VPS to a bunch of technically-literate people (that’s us) on a server that isn’t pounding through stupid-high gigabytes of traffic every month is a savvy move. Sweeten the deal with a coupon to save a few bucks/pounds/euro/shekels and/or a percentage kickback to the project and everyone wins.

#13 2015-07-15 20:17:08

zero
Website

Yes, I’m sure a very good deal could be negotiated by someone with negotiating power – but who is that? Who will represent the CMS and have everyone’s backing?

TXPQ Examples and discussion of Textpattern CMS quality.
Safe Reiki Harmless natural healing.

#14 2015-07-15 21:16:59

zero
Website

Following on from your post here, Gaekwad, textpartners.com has gone. I say a clean break with all textpattern domains redirected to a new quite different name and get the .org and .net at the same time. I have two 4-letter domains, one with connections with txp, (I bet you can ‘t guess it ;-) and one which means first class excellence or first class with extra love. They both have .org, .net available. You won’t find a meaningful 4-letter .com domain, or 5-letter for that matter, anymore. You will also have trouble finding anything short with cms added, such as koalacms.com. Warm fuzzy names with cms at the end are all gone, at least the ones I tried.

Just a few thoughts. But perhaps it’s only me, Bert and Yiannis who are bothered and most people prefer to leave txp.com on Joyent until the worse comes to the worse?

#15 2015-07-15 22:30:38

ruud
Developer emeritus
Website

gaekwad wrote #293276:

A bunch of open source websites have ‘hosting provided by x’ or ‘support provided by y’,

Even without donated hosting, it’s pretty amazing what you can get nowadays for only $10/month.

#16 2015-07-15 23:04:56

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

ruud wrote #293288:

Even without donated hosting, it’s pretty amazing what you can get nowadays for only $10/month.

Yes, unlimited everything is the norm nowadays. Were it not for restrictions from ISPs and meager upload bandwidth, I could host all my sites internally, which I did when I first started HCGTV.

In the early days, hcgtv.com was running Nucleus CMS, hcgtv.net was running PunBB, and hcgtv.org was running a singapore gallery, all being served off a DSL line in my house.

The machine that served the pages was a Pentium Pro with a 10,000 rpm SCSI disk, I don’t remember the exact specs, but it did an excellent job of handing out pages to visitors.

Google is coming to Charlotte, can you imagine the upload speeds that they have.

#17 2015-07-15 23:38:49

bici
Website

Is it possible for those on the European side of the Pond to get together with Dean over beers or wine and have a frank discussion of the Domain TEXTPATTERN.COM and the CMS TEXTPATTERN and the future ….

…. texted postive

#18 2015-07-16 08:01:05

zero
Website

bici, I think people have been trying to do that for years but he’s a very slippery customer. I had the same experience as others of never getting replies to my emails. You just cannot trust someone like that. No matter what his excuse may be.

#19 2015-07-16 11:23:45

jstubbs
Website

If one were to rely on Dean et al as has been the case for many years, this in the business world would not be considered very wise. Its time to move on from Dean.

#20 2015-07-16 23:26:06

bici
Website

jstubbs wrote #293319:

Its time to move on from Dean.

Accepted. Then the next step is to drop HIS domains. Time to take control. ….

…. texted postive

Board footer