Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#21 2012-03-07 14:37:14

Algaris

Re: TXP Magazine rises

Bloke wrote:

Uhh, yeah, sorry. In the cold light of day my opener sounds unduly harsh. It was late.

Stef staying up late on a work night? ;-) I wasn’t pointing my stubby little fingers in your direction, just a general observation. =)

Bloke wrote:

I try not to duplicate the message because that gets boring real fast.

Twitter: Hey I’ve got a new plugin out
Facebork: Hey I’ve got a new plugin out
G+: Hey I’ve got a new plugin out
Forum: Hey I’ve got a new plugin out
stefdawson.com: Hey I’ve got a new plugin out

Yeah we want to avoid that. Anyway I’m quite reassured and won’t derail this thread anymore than I already have.

#22 2012-03-07 15:08:48

linguist

Destry wrote:

Also, we are not the “Txpolice”; it’s no our position to tell you are anyone else what to say or write outside of Textpattern’s official copy. We’re not concerned with blogs and forums around the world, or even this one, really; we’re concerned with establishing some consistency in our own work so that other publishers are less likely to make mistakes with the brand. That’s not a bad thing. And that’s why brand use conventions are being prepared. Editorial guidelines will be used for TXP and Textpattern Docs copy at the very least, arguably the two most important places where content needs to be as clear as possible. That’s all any brand has control over—their own content—and we’re no different.

Destry,
Thank you for answering.

Maybe it’s really not that important what the abbreviation TXP refers to, or will refer to from now on. But I still believe that for the sake of consistency and brand recognition one should use, expand and strengthen what already exists. Radical changes may lead in the opposite direction, unfortunately.

My Google search for TXP shows seven related results on the first page: five out of seven for Textpattern CMS and two for TXP Magazine. On the second page, five results for Textpattern CMS. On the third page, six results for Textpattern CMS and one result for TXP Magazine. Sites shown on the first three pages of Google search for the term TXP include textpattern.com, forum.textpattern.com, textpattern.org, textpattern.ru, textpattern.net, txptips.org, txpmag.com, welovetxp.com, txpbuilders.com, txp-fr.net, txp-plugins.netcarving.com, txp-templates.com and some others.

By the way, TXP is even listed in an online dictionary (http://acronyms.thefreedictionary.com/TXP):

Acronym Definition
TXP Transponder (aircraft radio that responds to radar)
TXP Tape Transport (usually open reel tape deck)
TXP Taxoprexin DHA-paclitaxel
TXP tumor xenograft pharmacology
TXP Transaction Processor
TXP Transmit Power (communications technology measurement)
TXP Textpattern
TXP Transaction Protocol

Of course, we should use the term Textpattern when referring to Textpattern CMS, especially in formal context. But TXP is a useful and catchy abbreviation for Textpattern in less formal context, used in the same way as other informal abbreviations are used: WP for WordPress, EE for ExpressionEngine, FF for Firefox, etc. Just found an instance where Dean Allen used it informally in a funny way: Txp bee one 3 for Textpattern beta 1.3 (http://textism.com/article/687/txp-bee-one-3).

It’s understandable that using TXP only for the magazine (and not for Textpattern) may help promote the magazine a little, but at the same time it may diminish Textpattern’s recognizability. Besides, in my opinion, the name TXP Magazine, or TXP Mag, sounds much better and is more consistent with the rest of Textpattern-related products, projects, and sites. At least, that’s my opinion.

Last edited by linguist (2012-03-07 15:19:28)

#23 2012-03-07 15:47:21

sacripant
Plugin Author
Website

Linguist +1

Creation of an acronym, an abbreviation, a nickname is human. Especially in France, where everything becomes acronym:

• Dominique Strauss-Khan = DSK
  • Bernard Henry Levy = BHL
  • WordPress = WP

and

• Textpattern = TXP = TEXTPATTERN, It’s like that

Of more, communications tools like SMS or microblogging incite the use abbreviation.

So using the abbreviation of Textpattern for the magazine name, I think you wanted this confusion, but I have trouble understanding this strategy.

#24 2012-03-07 17:29:24

maruchan
Website

It’s almost like .net :-) I think it’s just great to use “TXP” for the magazine and I think it looks a lot bolder, more dominant than whatever might happen to be longer and easier to comprehend.

#25 2012-03-07 23:51:32

tye
Website

Bloke wrote:

I try not to duplicate the message because that gets boring real fast.

Twitter: Hey I’ve got a new plugin out
Facebork: Hey I’ve got a new plugin out
G+: Hey I’ve got a new plugin out
Forum: Hey I’ve got a new plugin out
stefdawson.com: Hey I’ve got a new plugin out

I know it gets boring, but I think its needs to happen this way… I’ve missed so many things (like the mag launch – good work) because I am a social butterfly – one week I may login to Twitter more, the Next Facebook etc… (Google+… is that a failure?)

Ask Destry – I had to email him at the forum to find out where I had posted a comment about some mag topic.

But seriously, if you are serious about getting things out in the Social Channels – this is what you have to do as your audience, past and future, may not be limited to the one you choose to use…

I’m sure if everyone helps to get the message out, this is possible without being boring.

Facebork <— lol

#26 2012-03-08 00:28:30

Bloke
Developer
Website

tye wrote:

I know it gets boring, but I think its needs to happen this way… your audience, past and future, may not be limited to the one you choose to use…

Oh we’ll use them all! My point (probably poorly made) was about just copy ‘n’ pasting the same thing to each channel… then everyone retweets / +1s the same message and people ultimately switch off.

Acceptable spammage might be playing to the strengths of each medium:

Twitter: Hey I’ve got a new #date #textpattern plugin out. The #humans are coming!
Facebork: Like my new date-based plugin for Textpattern and vote for the feature you find most useful.
G+: Ever wanted to display more human dates in Textpattern? You can now with the newest plugin from +StefDawson.
Forum: Anyone who wants to try and break the new date-based smd_ plugin, grab a copy and post your findings here. Thanks!
stefdawson.com: Here’s a look behind the scenes of my latest date-based Textpattern plugin.

Subtle difference. Still pimping it, but using each channel’s features to twist the message to the intended audience. It’ll be the same with the mag I should think. Perhaps we’ll tweet when the new issue is ready, highlight a topical article on the G+ stream, run a related poll on Facebork, focus on a techie angle for discussion on the forum, and post the table of contents to LinkedIn. All of the mentions have links to the mag whereby people can discover the new issue and read related things of interest, but we haven’t just done the equivalent of standing on a crate with a megaphone in Times Square, yelling the same thing down each street until the police arrive.

Does that make sense?

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#27 2012-03-08 01:27:32

tye
Website

Bloke wrote:

but we haven’t just done the equivalent of standing on a crate with a megaphone in Times Square, yelling the same thing down each street until the police arrive.

Are you sure you haven’t wrote a plugin to do that?

More than happy to help when I can if you need me – just yell on your megaphone :)

#28 2012-03-08 10:49:50

jpdupont
Website

TXP reanimation ????
Thus our favorite CMS was ready to die?

I use Textpattern since 2004. TXP = Textpattern.

Linguist, sacripant +100

I had no idea it was so easy to steal the nickname of Textpattern …

Last edited by jpdupont (2012-03-08 12:45:24)

#29 2012-03-08 22:55:45

tye
Website

Maybe a service like PixelPipe can help streamline things… I see if there are any similar sites

#30 2012-03-09 01:15:26

Destry
Website

jpdupont wrote:

I had no idea it was so easy to steal the nickname of Textpattern

Nice performance. It doesn’t dignify a reply, but since you reference my article I’ll give you one anyway.

TXP” was always a part of the name. Downplaying “magazine” isn’t stealing.

TXP is a magazine about Textpattern. There is no conflict of interest.

I’m a user of Textpattern since 2004 too. So what?

New readers of the magazine don’t care about pet “nicknames”, they care about the content. Good content.

You guys keep using “TXP” in the way you want to. Nobody is stopping you. All roads lead to the dog house.

The text persuades, the *notes prove。

Board footer