Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2011-12-12 22:56:15

gomedia
Plugin Author
Website

adi_globals - Global variables

Summary

adi_globals is a way of getting hold of those handy, but fiddly, backroom global variables. Something to make the txpath of your life a little smoother.

See the help supplied with the plugin, or have a look online. You can download the latest version from here.

Usage

Just specify the variable you’re interested in & adi_globals will find it & return it’s value.

For example:

<txp:adi_globals name="page" />

will return the current Page template name from $pretext.

adi_globals automatically searches through $prefs, $pretext, $thisarticle, $thispage, thissection, thisimage, $thiscomment, thiscategory, $thislink & $thisfile.

And, just for good measure, a TXP variable of the same name will be set as well.

Requirements

Simple enough to work in most versions of Textpattern.

Version history

• TXP 4.6 tag registration
    • added thisimage, thissection, thiscategory (thanks bloke)
    • removed txpcfg (thanks joebaich)
    • disabled debug option if PHP is disallowed in articles
    • initial release

Feedback

Comments are most welcome.

Spread the love

If you find this plugin useful and would like a warm and fuzzy feeling to go with it, please consider donating to the Textpattern development team.

Last edited by gomedia (2015-06-15 04:07:33)

#2 2011-12-12 23:02:44

Bloke
Developer
Website

Re: adi_globals - Global variables

Another little adi corker, thanks!

Any reason why $thisimage is omitted? I’ve probably just not thought it through properly in my haste to try it out.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#3 2011-12-12 23:16:44

uli

That’s a pretty cool oracle for a PHP whimp like me. If I only knew what I could ask …? Are there variable lists out there?

In bad weather I never leave home without wet_plugout, smd_where_used and adi_form_links

#4 2011-12-12 23:18:21

gomedia
Plugin Author
Website

Bloke wrote:

Another little adi corker, thanks!

My pleasure.

Any reason why $thisimage is omitted? I’ve probably just not thought it through properly in my haste to try it out.

None at all … I got the list from Kevin Potts’ book, which covered my immediate requirements, but it’s probably getting a little out of date now. I’ve just found Jeff’s list which has $thiscomment, $thiscategory & $thissection as well.

Could there be any others?

#5 2011-12-12 23:27:51

joebaich
Website

Adi,

Should I be uneasy about $pass, $db and $user being made so readily available to any of my users? All they have to do is add <txp:adi_globals name="pass" />|<txp:adi_globals name="pass" />|<txp:adi_globals name="pass" /> to an article in via the TXP admin interface and they have access to the database.

#6 2011-12-12 23:35:12

gomedia
Plugin Author
Website

joebaich wrote:

Should I be uneasy about $pass, $db and $user being made so readily available to any of my users? All they have to do is add <txp:adi_globals name="pass" />|<txp:adi_globals name="pass" />|<txp:adi_globals name="pass" /> to an article in via the TXP admin interface and they have access to the database.

That’s probably a fair concern, although it’s possible at the moment using <txp:php> (if php is allowed in articles).

OK, some options:

• disallow access to $txpcfg in article context
  • disallow access to db/user/pass in $txpcfg
  • disallow access to $txpcfg completely

#7 2011-12-12 23:46:26

joebaich
Website

Adi,

I meant <txp:adi_globals name="db" />|<txp:adi_globals name="user" />|<txp:adi_globals name="pass" /> but you got the message as usual anyway. I guess that disallowing access to $txpcfg in an article context would be in line with the ability to disallow php in articles via site preferences.

#8 2011-12-12 23:47:43

Bloke
Developer
Website

gomedia wrote:

Could there be any others?

Not that I’m aware of: that pretty much nails the list.

disallow access to $txpcfg completely

Gets my vote: can’t think of any application where these values would be useful to any casual content architect / designer without PHP access. But at very least disallow in article context (unless you can find a legitimate use for the great unwashed to get their mitts on $txpcfg vars).

The possible exception is txpath I suppose, even though that does give away the server folder structure which may or may not please shared host owners (yeah yeah, some error conditions like include_once() also leak this if files are missing which makes it not the world’s best kept secret).

Last edited by Bloke (2011-12-12 23:50:10)

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#9 2011-12-12 23:56:25

uli

Guys, I’m not a security expert, so I need to ask you: Should we publicly post about potential vulnerabilities?

And: are there lists of variables available like as cheat sheets?

Last edited by uli (2011-12-12 23:57:52)

In bad weather I never leave home without wet_plugout, smd_where_used and adi_form_links

#10 2011-12-13 00:37:51

gomedia
Plugin Author
Website

And quickly out of the stalls – version 0.2:

• added $thisimage, $thissection, $thiscategory (thanks bloke)
  • removed $txpcfg (thanks joebaich)
  • disabled debug option if PHP is disallowed in articles (an attempt to prevent accidental indecent exposure)

Board footer