#31 2008-03-26 20:39:33

lee

Re: Redirect Pro

Thanks, much appreciated.

#32 2008-03-27 14:32:30

zero
Website

Even though I am a subscriber to zem_redirect and I can login at the subscribers page and can see the downloads and articles available, when I click the Redirect Pro v1 Documentation, I get this response (and this has been the case for a long time):

Subscribers
Redirect Pro v1 Documentation
Purchase a subscription to zem_redirect now for instant access to downloads, documentation and support:
New subscriptions are currently unavailable.

So not even subscribers can access the documentation.

Now, what if a subscriber had the documentation somewhere on their computer. Could they legally pass it on to someone who needed help, whether for payment or for free? Isn’t that providing a service?

TXPQ Examples and discussion of Textpattern CMS quality.
Safe Reiki Harmless natural healing.

#33 2008-03-27 14:36:07

ruud
Developer emeritus
Website

Nope. IIRC, the documentation was not released under a license that permits distribution.

#34 2008-03-27 15:05:42

zero
Website

Yes, you do recall correctly, Ruud. As you previously pointed out, in the comments of this thread Alex states:

Please note that while the source code is GPL, documentation, support and regular updates are available to subscribers only.

and the last line of the last link states that:

Support services may not be transferred, sold, or provided by proxy to a third party.

Thankfully, the plugin does most things automatically!

TXPQ Examples and discussion of Textpattern CMS quality.
Safe Reiki Harmless natural healing.

#35 2008-03-27 15:09:46

lee

All these license safe guards are a good thing, but as zem is no longer making money from it or supporting it let’s hope he releases to the community for free.

Last edited by lee (2008-03-27 15:10:17)

#36 2008-03-27 17:38:45

Els
Admin

zero wrote:

So not even subscribers can access the documentation.

I can.

In my opinion it isn’t wrong that I posted the tag attributes, because anyone can find those in the plugin code. And the use of the tag seems mostly self evident. The examples I posted were very simple and most people would be able to figure that out. Still, I think I shouldn’t have done that so I removed them.
The fact that many more – and more complicated – examples are given in the documentation is what makes it valuable. It’s a pity that it is just ‘locked’ somewhere, as new subscriptions aren’t possible and support doesn’t seem to be very available for subscribers either (I mailed zem a support question quite a while ago but never got an answer).

Last edited by Els (2008-03-27 17:41:14)

#37 2008-03-27 17:54:33

ruud
Developer emeritus
Website

Someone who has only the plugin code to could write a manual with useful examples without looking at the original documentation that zem provides and release that under a free license. Or perhaps even modify the plugin to include such a manual, especially if the plugin is no longer maintained (not sure if it is).

#38 2008-09-28 21:41:40

jakob
Website

I have to say the situation with this plugin is quite ridiculous. I really respect Alex for his manifold contributions but the license situation has backfired here with no-one benefitting, neither him nor the users.

Would a kind soul be willing to whisper via mail some usage tips for redirecting static previous pages to txp pages? I’m no beginner but I’ve not worked it out with trial and error.

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#39 2008-10-19 02:21:47

kevinpotts
Website

I really agree with Jakob on this. Considering that no one has developed anything comparable, Alex has left the Textpattern scene, and new subscriptions are not available (I’d pay the $9 in a second if I could), it’s totally ridiculous that the documentation is not available. This is deadware. Can someone with some common sense please share information on how to use the plugin, because while I would love to support Alex and give him money for this stuff, he clearly does not want my cash.

#40 2010-12-14 17:03:23

jakob
Website

Just passing on some information I learned the hard way: if you are trying to use this plugin to do a manual redirect and it just will not do what it is told, try switching the production status to “testing” or “live” in the settings. In debug production status it just smiles at you with a message but does nothing!! I realise this is actually meant to be a feature but without documentation to tell you that, how can you know… grrr

A usage example to redirect when the search function finds an article that is displayed on the section landing page but not linked to individually. Place the redirect function right at the very top of your page before the doctype:

<txp:zem_redirect to="/section" from="/section/article-name" /><!DOCTYPE html>....

Last edited by jakob (2010-12-14 17:03:59)

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

Board footer