Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#31 2006-01-31 09:39:26

Zanza
Plugin Author
Website

Re: [plugin] [ORPHAN] rss_unlimited_categories - Unltd. Article Categories

> theonlydrew wrote:

> Also, when I use the txp:article_custom category=”“ I get nothing returned. Can I only use the rss tags to list these multiple categories?

If you want to refer to categories, yes. They rely on a new db table.

Z-

#32 2006-01-31 22:35:23

theonlydrew

Sorry Zanza, I’m a little confused.
So I cannot use existing tags such as {txp:article_custom category=“One of the multiple categories” /} ? Or I can? Because currently I cannot, and I was wondering if I was misusing the plugin. So, can I use the multiple categories that I have selected with other text pattern tags, or can I only use them with rss_unlimited_categories tag?

Also, is there a way for these unlimited_categories to be listed and sorted, like cat1 and cat 2 are under the Articles SubTab.

#33 2006-02-01 10:02:54

alexandra

I am using the 0.1 plugins version and get a 404 page error when hitting the assigned article category.

Instead of:
http://localhost/txpt/article?c=design
i get:
http://localhost/txpt/article/design
which does of course not work.

The all over URL scheme i use is: section/title on TXP 4.0.3

Last edited by alexandra (2006-02-01 10:06:17)

#34 2006-02-02 02:33:01

RHD
Website

Thanks, Rob, for developing this. I’ve been wanting Txp to have more-than-two-category capability for a long time.

Just to make sure there’s not something weird with my install: Are the default category selection drop-downs supposed to still be displayed after I install the plugin? ‘Cause now, after installing it, it looks like I have two ways to select categories: The old standard way and the new Rob-is-awesome way.

I can make sense of it, but some of the other authors on my site might not.

Last edited by RHD (2006-02-02 02:33:18)

#35 2006-02-02 03:00:11

NeilA
Website

What you are seeing is correct RHD.
Rob’s plugin is an additional function to the built in categories – it even uses new tables in the db, and, of course you use new tags to display/use the new multi-category features.

So while it might be a tad confusing initially for users, a little education should help.

Idea: perhaps have just one available ‘category’ under the original category list, reading: “Don’t use this!” ;-)

Regards

Neil – Blue Mountains, Australia

http://westserve.org
http://ministrygrounds.net.au

#36 2006-02-02 03:45:27

wilshire
Plugin Author
Website

Sorry folks, I don’t seem to get notified when people post to the forums in 9 out of 10 cases so I haven’t seen these posts over the past few days. To answer summarize the questions above:

• You do not need to use custom fields with this plugin. It creates a new table that stores the relationship between articles and categories.
  • The standard TXP article tags and any plugins except this one will not recognize the category selections that the plugin sets. Why? Because its written to a new table that only this plugin is aware of. The rss_unlimited_categories_article_list tag is a multiple category aware replacement for the TXP article tags.
  • The article list page will not show your multiple category selections for the same reason mentioned above.
  • The standard category1 and category2 will still show with this plugin installed. Why? Because you might want to use both so that you can use a standard TXP tag or plugin.
  • There seem to be problems with /section/category URLs which I’ll have to look into.

I think that about covers it all for now…

#37 2006-02-02 07:22:29

Zanza
Plugin Author
Website

Thank you.

Just to know: are you planning to add a rss_recent_article tag or something? I’ve a problem that can only be solved being capable to calculate relations among articles based on category similarity. Chh plugin already have a bunch of ways to calculate relationship, so it may just be a matter of adding also your db table one. I’m not so good to do it myself.

Thanks anyway.

Z-

#38 2006-02-02 08:52:05

RHD
Website

Thanks, Neil and Rob. I understand better now that I’ve played around with it a bit.

For the reasons Rob mentioned above, txp:related_article doesn’t work with this plugin. I’ll have to play around with rss_unlimited_categories_article_list and see what does work.

Thanks again, Rob.

#39 2006-02-02 16:15:49

mcmurz

Thank you! Your plugin gives me the final decision to move to textpattern :]
However, I’ve still haven’t managed to make it work yet.
After installation, nothing changed on the Content:Write page. There’re still two drop-down boxes for categories. Can anyone help please?

Board footer