Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#21 2005-08-24 05:49:35

NeilA
Website

Re: [plugin] [ORPHAN] rss_admin_db_manager - database backups and more

Good one Rob!
A very comprehensive tool. Even though a friend helped me to build an automated backup system for all my MySQL db’s, this will still be useful for when I want to take a backup before making changes, etc to the system.

Neil – Blue Mountains, Australia

http://westserve.org
http://ministrygrounds.net.au

#22 2005-08-24 06:59:10

RHD
Website

Could this be used as a migration tool? Like if I change hosts, could I restore a backup from the old host to a db on the new? Or would the “db host,” “db name,” etc. need to be identical?

EDIT: Also, duh, thanks very much for putting this plug-in out there.

Last edited by RHD (2005-08-24 06:59:52)

#23 2005-08-24 11:25:14

skoggy
Website

First question(s).

Can I use this to restore one single table in my database?
Had to do a clean install of txp and would like to import all the articles from one of my old sql backups. (Learned a lesson when I messed around with some things I didn´t fully understood.) So now I want to restore all articles. The images, forms, css and other stuff can I manage the hard way. But rewriting all the articles is something I won´t do.

Is it the Textpattern table that hold all the article text? Yes

Once again I solved it on my own shortly after posting here. Deeply sorry for that. My solution was to restore the table in “MySql Administrator”.

Have a nice day folks, and thanx for the plugin :)

Last edited by skoggy (2005-08-24 11:56:41)

#24 2005-08-24 13:30:18

Els
Admin

When I click .sql file in the db backup tab I get this: BACKUP FAILED: file not there. Am I supposed to create something first? Couldn’t find this in the help.

#25 2005-08-24 16:15:04

bauhouse
Plugin Author
Website

wilshire, thanks for the plugin. I really like the db manager and run sql tabs. It’s good not to have to flip back and forth between Textpattern and phpMyAdmin.

For Stephen Bau, you can link to http://www.builderscollective.com/ (although TextDrive currently has a server outage on their Bidwell server and the link is not currently working. I’m really looking forward to the hardware switch this week.)

I seem to be having a similar problem, different message, when trying to create an .sql file backup: BACKUP FAILED: file is empty. I am able to save a gzipped file, but when I examine the file, it is also empty. Any ideas?

#26 2005-08-24 16:49:42

swf
Plugin Author
Website

I’m able to create backups in either format but after I deleted some test entries and tried to restore the database with those entries it said t worked but did not restore the entries. I had to use mysqlfront to restore teh .sql file to my server. Is the restore working for other people?

#27 2005-08-24 17:19:03

heikki74

Yes.. I can create backups in both formats. Restoring them works also.
I tried it with my test site with a couple of articles.

#28 2005-08-24 20:19:26

wilshire
Plugin Author
Website

A few notes…

1. This has been tested for use with Textpattern 4.0 and above (as was supposed to be indicated by the plugin version number) but I falied to mentioned it otherwise. If you’re using an older version I can’t guarantee that it will work.
  2. If you’re having restore problems, the cause might be because of a bad backup. Download the backup and open the file to see if it contains an actual backup. It should be a series of SQL statements.
  3. If your backup or restore is failing, please post your TXP version/revision number, operating system and mysql version.

If you are getting a bad backup file and are able to email it to me, that would help as well.

#29 2005-08-24 20:28:16

Els
Admin

TXP 4.0, revision 819. Both .sql file and gzipped file are giving BACKUP FAILED: file not there, so I can’t test if restore is working ;)

MySQL 4.0.25
Apache 2.0.46

Dumb question: my OS or the server’s?

Thanks in advance.

Board footer